PLA2Scale - Development of recyclable PLA-blend-based food packaging
In the PLA2Scale research project, bio-based plastic packaging for food made from polylactic acid blends (PLA blends) is to be developed. The focus is on material-efficient use, a high biobased content (more than 80 percent) and optimal product protection for the packaged goods.
Two aspects are essential in the development of polylactic acid-based materials: on the one hand, the barrier properties of PLA are to be improved by blending it with starch in order to be able to optimally package sensitive products such as sausage and cheese slices. On the other hand, blends of PLA and fibrous materials are to be developed that have a lower water vapour barrier than pure PLA packaging in order to meet the requirements for vegetable and fruit packaging. Furthermore, in addition to this primary packaging, food-suitable transport boxes (crates) based on PLA and suitable excipients will be developed. The PLA blends are then processed by partners on an industrial scale into packaging such as deep-drawn trays and injection-moulded transport crates, and storage tests with food are carried out. The overall objective of the application-oriented project PLA2Scale is to significantly increase the use and thus the material flow of PLA-based packaging in order to make the recyclability of PLA also economically interesting.
- Project title: PLA2Scale - Development of recyclable PLA-blend-based food packaging
- Sponsorship: Federal Ministry for Food and Agriculture (BMEL)
- Funding: Agency for Renewable Resources (FNR)
- Project partners: IfBB – Institut für Biokunststoffe und Bioverbundwerkstoffe der Hochschule Hannover, Fakultät Life Sciences, Sustainable Packaging Institute (SPI) an der Hochschule Albstadt-Sigmaringen, Herbstreith & Fox GmbH & Co. KG Pektin Fabriken, Hochschule Hannover, Fakultät III, Fachbereich Produktdesign, BGS Beta-Gamma-Service GmbH & Co. KG, Jaun Neoform GmbH, Profectus Films GmbH, Bekuplast GmbH, Fairfleisch GmbH, Hochland Deutschland GmbH, Hofmolkerei Schmid GmbH, TOMRA Sorting GmbH, Landratsamt Zollernalbkreis Abfallwirtschaftsamt, aha – Zweckverband Abfallwirtschaft Hannover, Lorentzen und Sievers GmbH
- Project management: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Andrea Siebert-Raths
- Duration: 01.11.2022 – 30.09.2025
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Andrea Siebert-Raths, firstname.lastname@example.org