KaVe - Development of a high-quality bio-composite material based on coffee grounds
The goal of the joint project "KaVe" (coffee substitute composite material) is to develop a high-quality bio-based composite material based on coffee grounds. Coffee grounds are used primarily as fillers and colouring agents, thereby substituting fossil-based polymers and colour additives and thus saving considerable amounts of unsaturated hydrocarbon compounds from petroleum and partly from coal and natural gas.
In this project, a processing technology for green coffee is being developed in order to prepare coffee grounds of different origin and quality for high-quality fillers and colouring agents for bioplastics. In addition, formulations, so-called compounds, are being developed in order to facilitate the use of coffee ground polymers in various applications (for example consumer goods, automotive sector, etc.). The ultimate goal is the experimental processing of these coffee ground polymers in coffee consumer products (e.g. serving trays and table mats for coffee houses) and their use in conventional plastic products (e.g. computer accessories and automotive components).
- Project title: KaVe - Development of a high-quality bio-composite based on coffee grounds
- Sponsorship: Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF)
- Funding: Lower Saxony Ministry of Science and Culture in the context of coastal and marine research in Lower Saxony
- Project management: abc GmbH
- Project partner: IfBB - Institute for Bioplastics and Biocomposites at Hannover University of Applied Sciences; BeoPlast Besgen GmbH, Maschinenfabrik Reinartz GmbH & Co. KG, Beoplast
- Funding code: 031B0383C
- Duration: 01/06/2017 – 31/12/2019
Daniela Jahn, B.Eng., +49 (0)511 9296-2261, firstname.lastname@example.org